Breakdown- Best Sequels
February 16, 2011
Posted by on
This is the list of my top five sequels that were as good or better than the original. In Hollywood’s recent obsession in re-treading any and every original idea to the point of bland filmmaking, here is a list of films that equal or improve on the first film.
1. X2-X-Men United– Bryan Singer wasn’t too pleased with the outcome of the first film, and this clearly shows he got more control on this one.
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day– James Cameron doesn’t make small movies. And this one, with the twist of making Arnold the hero instead of the villain, arguably one of the best films of the nineties.
3. Spiderman 2– The first film was a true masterpiece and the third almost ruined the whole franchise, but the second film is just as good as the first, maybe even a slight bit better. Peter Parker’s struggles are more relatable and intense in this film (revenge isn’t always a fun film device).
4. Back to the Future II– Some question this film or the third in the franchise, but this one has always been my favorite. I love the overlapping of the first two films in the last 30 minutes. The space-time continuum is always something I like to see in movies (see Star Trek films)
5. Aliens– again James Cameron takes the second film to heights further than the original. This film garnered an Oscar nom for Sigourney Weaver, it’s that good. Where Alien was a suspenseful film, this is pure action/horror.